January 16, 2016
Good morning and happy Saturday! If you’re at Vogue Knitting Live in New York City this weekend I hope you’re having fun. I have enjoyed seeing pictures on Facebook from the people I know and the people I follow who are there. Except maybe the pics from the hotel rooms high above Times Square. Just looking at them makes me feel a little queasy. One of these years I will make it to this event. When I do, you can be sure I will book a room at a hotel that isn’t quite so high above the street.
Last weekend I finished my yarn for the Ravelry Spinning Men group’s January Spin-A-Long (SAL). This blend of yak, merino, and silk was absolutely delightful to spin, and since there was just under four ounces, it spun up and plied quickly. The resulting 3ply yarn, measuring a little over 100 yards, came out exactly as I had hoped. The smooth and slick fiber preparation was spun semi-worsted and retains a bit of the lustre from the silk, and is just as delightful to knit with as it was to spin.
Finding a pattern wasn’t difficult. I knew I wanted to make a pair of fingerless mitts for myself to keep in the car and using Ravelry’s awesome pattern search, I was able to narrow my choices down to a couple hundred patterns. Yes, that’s narrowed down. One of the first patterns on the first page had a lovely diamond pattern on the hand, so I cast on and started knitting. About halfway through the first mitt I took a look at my work and wasn’t completely thrilled with how the diamond pattern looked, so out it came. My next choice of patterns had simple cables going up the back of the hand, so I restarted knitting from the cuff. Again, about halfway through the first mitt, I wasn’t thrilled with how it looked, so out it came once more.
It seemed any patterning in the knitting obscured that beautiful lustre in the yarn and as soon as I voiced that out loud, my dear spouse, ever the voice of reason when I need him to be, says “so just do it in plain knitting.” He was right. I restarted the mitt a third time using the previous two patterns as my base, making a few modifications in the stitch counts, and knitting in plain ol’ stockinette. About halfway through the first mitt I stopped to look at my work, and there was that beautiful lustre that I wanted to see! I apologize for my poor photography skills and being unable to get it to show up in a picture, but trust me, it’s there.
Before I do any more knitting on this project, I am sitting down to spin what remains of the brown roving. What remains is about 12 ounces, so there’s no way I’m finishing that today, but I’ll get to spend a little more time on it today than the ten or fifteen minutes I manage before work on weekdays. The end of this project is in sight, at least as far as spinning all the singles goes. After that comes the plying which will be a pretty monumental project in its own right.
Have a great weekend everyone!